Dragon Clan Lands Punching Bag
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW Forum?

Go down

NEW Forum? Empty NEW Forum?

Post  Rapidash Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:34 am

Talk has been going around various members, the idea of a new forum has been discussed. A couple have volunteered money to pay for such a site, others have stepped forward to offer help with coding. A Rose-less forum, better managed, not a "PetSite" and not catering to pre-teens.

Please post your opinions here regarding building a new roleplay forum. Interest? Suggestions? Against it, and why?

Rapidash

Back to top Go down

NEW Forum? Empty Re: NEW Forum?

Post  Mick Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:38 am

As previously said, I agree. Sounds like fun.

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  =|:O> Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:39 am

I WANT YOU... to do this thing.

idears
+ rotated mods
+ clean slate (stop stealing from past crew members!)
+ free character creation
+ angry bears
+ ????
+ profit!

go.

=|:O>

Back to top Go down

Post  Zoe Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:45 am

I'm curious what a free-for-all would spawn.

If you want, I can set up a wiki(wikidot)/forum in conjunction with each other that can be a new home base. The Wiki for the character/species/member/information database, the forum for roleplay, discussion, and art stuff.

It'd take me all of a few hours to set up, if that idea is popular.

Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:47 am

Just a suggestion, I don't know how rotated mods would work. It just seems like an idea headed for disaster. Maybe we could tailor mod jobs to people's strengths? Give everyone something to do that wanted it, so no one would feel left out if we had to? Vote on it, or make sure it's not based on friends. But I just think that rotated mods wouldn't work. Judgement would change, little ways things were run. People wouldn't notice repeated offenses. You know.

Take someone who is good at reading rps, and put them in charge. Take someone who is good at talking to people, put them in charge of newbies. Organized people, put them in charge of the organization.

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  =|:0> Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:52 am

It'd depend on how it was done. I've been on forums that have made it work. If nothing else, we should at least filter the "power" so that no one gets carried away. Always have it be possible for members to get things adjusted if they aren't working.

The last time DC had a vote on who should mod, popularity won rather than competence. How many of those mods are still here, with a decent attendance record and usefulness? We need to be extra careful not to make the same mistakes... and not be afraid to try new things out. Hopefully without tripping members up and lashing out at them if they break the brand new rule.

=|:0>

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:56 am

Yeah. I thought about that too. Power checks shouldn't be too hard. As long as the one person in charge listens to the others at least. We know the people we are picking from. Find mods everyone agrees on. And if it's down to the last two, do a vote. Though I can see the popularity winning that. You never know, if we get down to it, there might not be that many interested in the responsibility. Many of us have busy real lifes to attend to as well.

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Zoe Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:57 am

In regards to who would mod, I think things would be fine given we make sure we maintain a state of democracy when it comes to decisions that will affect the members. That, and have more than one or two 'high power' mods. If the power is distributed to more people, power-tripping would be less likely.

And in addition to my post, I forgot to mention that I can host the forum ad-free off of my webspace, no problem. And getting a domain would be simple if you guys wanted one.

Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:10 am

Several people with big powers is a good idea. Though the person who owns the site would have the most power. I'm sure it will be fine though. As long as it's done with care and with everyones consent.

Mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallden Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:17 am

I'm for it. I'd help set up a pretty good system (at least I think), though I don't have time to talk about it now. Used to moderate a site with like 1,000 members, and their moderation system would've been a really good idea if there hadn't been some corruption involved, so maybe that setup could work for us. The basics of it is that mods act as checks and balances for each other and nobody has MORE power than anybody else. That way if one mod makes a bad decision the others can correct it. No one person would be the end-all be-all, and that's how it should be, I think.

Kallden

Back to top Go down

Post  Zoe Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:21 am

Administration-level power can be given to more than one person pretty easily, the owner of the webspace doesn't have to be the only admin. The only power the owner of the webspace has that no one else can have is to take it down. :'D

Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Rapidash Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:35 am

Just want to say, lots of great stuff going on here. Zoe, I think using your webspace would be awesome, or taking the time to setting up Wikidot is cool too. Even if it's all temporary til everyone really knows what they want.

I like rotational mods so far, and also do think Rachel, whatever you say will be very helpful. I tend to forget you also helped mod the BBA.

Rapidash

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallden Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:45 am

Well i'm sure you know this since i've spam posted it about everywhere, but I think that a forum that allows the members a great deal of freedom is a good route to take. Weeding out people who cause trouble isn't very hard (and would be much less hard on a small forum like this one would be to begin with). Open registration that doesn't require people to be approved is good, spambots and trolls can be deleted when they post the gibberish that they tend to do.

I think i'm going to register here, posting as a guest all the time is annoying...

Kallden

Back to top Go down

Post  Zoe Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:29 am

So... I guess the next question would be what to call this new place? Also, would it be dragon-only? What restrictions, if any, would we have on character species?

Zoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Kay Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:27 pm

Heh, I know some of you are pissed at me for buying into the egg and gems stuff at the DCL right now. But what can I say? If there's an easy way around stuff I'll take it. Besides buying stuff with real cash helped Chesh get a few coffees, so I'm happy to do it.

As for a new DC, I don't really want the community to split up, but if a larger majority of my friends are moving to it I'll join them. If that's okay. I'd much rather keep with you all than takes sides or anything.

Kay

Back to top Go down

Post  Kay Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:38 pm

Oh aswell:

A new forum where we can RP more than just dragons sounds good. It means I can RP non-dragon characters with people I know. C:

Maybe have a forum section for the dragon clan, then other creatures? IDK.

Kay

Back to top Go down

Post  Wut Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:02 am

Kay: Problem with that is not many people have 'offsite characters' they're willing to bring out due to severe species interchanging and whatnot. It'd be just like the DC9 or whatever when people tried to RP other Neopets and it never worked out. Granted, we have more freedom than we would with Neopets, but still the same thing applies. I know I have my own species and I'd love to get them out, but because they're different, I can't really see anyone wanting to interact with them besides people who have the same type of my species; similar to the Sphies or whatever they were called. That's just my personal input, though. If you have non-dragon characters that are able to interact with more than just what they are, go for it. <3

Anyway, in regards to this topic, I completely agree. I'm tired of the DCL constantly trying to figure out whether it's about the art, roleplaying, or whatever. Personally? Whatever happened to socializing? :\ I mean, you get these things tossed back and forth by certain people where "IT'S ART", "IT'S ROLEPLAYING", when all I really like the DC for is it's people. I mean, there's some who have no artistic ability whatsoever, but they're as sweet as can be and they try and comment on those who do have the talent. Some can't roleplay or it's just harder for them. Talking to other people (or just lurking even?) is a whole lot easier than exerting the effort required for art or creativity of any type. Some people just have their friends that they're at the DC for. I know that if my friends up and left, there'd really be no reason for me to stay anymore.

Anyway, new DC? Sure. I'd love to see how it plays out. I've stayed rather neutral on the whole matter because I'm one of those people who don't want to get involved, but it's becomming a little /old/ now and I'd like to see some change before this all goes up in flames. The flickers are there already and I fear it'll eventually worsen. :\ It's getting there, anyway.

/two pennies

Wut

Back to top Go down

Post  Rapidash Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:45 am

Kay - Don't worry too much about taking sides...I for one am not asking people to LEAVE DC if we make a new forum just..I hope they join us on this one as well. You know? If we were making people choose then we'd be acting like said powers we have a problem with.

In any case I'm glad you'll come even if someone else may have been unhappy with you. cat

Zoe - That's a good question. I think it should be SOMEWHAT limited, I would hope it doesn't become like a wolf rpg forum or something like that. Maybe just general fantasy creatures but with emphasis on dragons if that makes..any sense? Then people can feel better about bringing in non-dragons should they want to. I know I just rp dragons, well , for the most part, but I don't care if someone comes in with like..a chimera. Lol.

Rapidash

Back to top Go down

Post  =|:0> Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:02 am

Some new thoughts -- Any DC mods that might join us shouldn't immediately be given power just because they have "experience". If they want to help, then they should prove themselves to be trustworthy and useful. As it stands right now, many of the DC mods are just Rose's mouthpieces. The ones that aren't like that shouldn't have any problems losing their "power" and just coming along to help us because they want to.

Otherwise, old grudges should GTFO. We won't make it as a community if we can't let things go. If Kay wants to come with us, then she should do that... BUT, she should also leave her fear of being "hated" behind because that causes problems too. Let's just... try to socialize, to the best of our abilities, yea? And do more to actually talk to one another. If we get an SB, it should become our public messenger!

As for species -- I've never had a problem with cross-species RP. Most of my characters are dragons only because that's...really only what I've developed. But I've got plenty of species to go around, so it's not like my dragons are going to be prejudiced. I don't mind if others are allowed, as long as, like Rapidash said, we don't get overwhelmed with wolves (ie, Wajas), or fan-characters (anime, ice skaters, etc). But that's a hazy line we'll have to sort out as we get to it, I think.

=|:0>

Back to top Go down

Post  Pennywhi Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:19 am

I have one foot over the edge. I need one more push.

New forum. Go for it. Just keep the wolves on the down low.

Pennywhi

Back to top Go down

Post  Meep Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:06 am

I was thinking about staying with DCL until I witnessed Mods using foul language before a member was, and it was uncalled for. They REMOVE the shout box over the word lesbian, but they can cuss at all of us whenever they please? Majorly fucked up >>

I'm actually leaning more towards a different community, and I'll keep an eye out on your guy's. Honestly, I'd love to have a place where I can introduce my characters besides dragons. I have 9 dragons, but I have a lot more then that in other races that are MUCH more developed.

As for the Mod power bit, I had a thought that you can choose to toss or read, your choice. Perhaps.. the owner of the site's account could have the power to appoint mods and remove mods but in itself the account be used only for that purpose. Appoint a different mod for each different main area in the forum, instead of "big powerful" mods then "little mods". Then rotate the individual thread moderators out every few months, using the main owner account to do so. Then all the moderating will be done by those who are part-time mods, no one person has all mighty power, and if a power check is needed, the main account owner can simply remove their status.

Meep

Back to top Go down

Post  Tartar S Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:11 am

There are a lot of Proboards roleplays, and it's easy to make them there. I've made several in the past, though they haven't been successful due to lack of members... o_O But if you guys want a place to go, I've got an empty message board for you.

Tartar S

Back to top Go down

Post  Rapidash Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:38 am

Oh lordy yes I agree on the mod thing - About if they were in DCL we shouldn't rush to give them power or whatever. However I don't really think that will be too much of an issue...

Lol fan characters... "I'm bringing in my Inuyasha lion!!! =D"

Somehow I don't see that being a problem though hee hee.

As for the Mod power bit, I had a thought that you can choose to toss or read, your choice. Perhaps.. the owner of the site's account could have the power to appoint mods and remove mods but in itself the account be used only for that purpose. Appoint a different mod for each different main area in the forum, instead of "big powerful" mods then "little mods". Then rotate the individual thread moderators out every few months, using the main owner account to do so. Then all the moderating will be done by those who are part-time mods, no one person has all mighty power, and if a power check is needed, the main account owner can simply remove their status.

I like that! I...know nothing about modding/running things but afro I like it anyway lol.

Rapidash

Back to top Go down

Post  Thunked Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:54 am

I really like the idea of further incorporating the users being allowed to RP non dragon characters. I am Aware there is that currently on the DCL but it feels as if it's shoved into a back corner and shunned. It needs to be better incorporated into the site rather than feeling like a guest forum.

This 'thinker' is sick of trying to scoop buckets of water of the titanic. Razz

Thunked

Back to top Go down

Post  Rapidash Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:51 pm

Because I'm curious, were there any further thoughts on this, or are people a bit more satisfied and holding off for now while polls and such seem to be set up on DCL?

Rapidash

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down